Re: [squid-users] question about filesystems and directories for cache.

From: Tony Dodd <tony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 01:40:53 +0000

Quoting Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au>:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2007, Alexandre Correa wrote:
> > reiserfs 4 is much better than ext3 ...
>
> [citation needed]
>
> I know reiserfs vs ext2|3 benchmarks in the past showed reiserfs did a little
> better but both codebases have advanced over the last few years.
> I'd love to see an actual up to date comparison.

All the benchmarking I performed while testing ext3 vs xfs vs reiserfs for squid
showed that reiserfs gave the best bang per buck for io intensive small file
operations... That said, I too would like some definative numbers/graphs for
comparison in different settings. Perhaps next time I rebuild one of my squid
boxes, I'll run some benchmarks and document them.

--
Tony Dodd, Systems Administrator
Last.fm | http://www.last.fm