[squid-users] new squid setup, optimizing cache

From: Dave <dmehler26@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:27:58 -0500

Hello,
    I'm setting up squid on a new machine, this one an OpenBSD 4.2 router.
The install went fine and all, but now i come to configuring squid. I gave
the squid cache it's own partition in this case /dev/wd0h, on the first
drive, it's got soft updates enabled on it, and is 17.6 gb in size. I was
wondering the best squid optimizations?
    I read that the cache size shouldn't exceed 80% of the total space so
would that be 80% of the 17.6 g partition And when entering this on the
cache_dir line should the size be approx 15000 or should i append something,
15g for instance?or the entire disk? For the memory and cache replacement
policies Heap LFUDa, or is there a better choice?
    Unrelated to cache, but my logformat i've got the squid logformat
uncommented, i'd like to display it's time formats in local time for
interpreting at a glance. Is this doable?
Thanks.
Dave.