Re: [squid-users] Concurrent question

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:19:33 +0545

Hi Monah,

Monah Baki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running squid 2.6 stable 16 on a Pentium III 500Mhz with 512MB RAM,
> IDE HDD, installed FreeBSD 6.3 with the following:
>
> --enable-storeio=ufs,diskd,null --enable-underscores --with-large-files
> --enable-large-cache-files --enable-delay-pools --disable-ident-lookups
> --enable-snmp --enable-removal-policies --enable-async-io --enable-kqueue

I would add the following compilation parameters to --enable-storeio:

  '--enable-storeio=ufs,coss,diskd,aufs,null'

Just in case, you may want to try the aufs or coss storage schemes.

As far as I know, if you include aufs in --enable-storeio, then you
don't need the "--enable-async-io" parameter.

> Added into the /boot/loader.conf:
>
> kern.ipc.nmbclusters: 32768
> kern.maxfiles=65536
> kern.maxfilesperproc=32768
> net.inet.ip.portrange.last: 65535

I suggest increasing the kern.ipc.nmbclusters to at least 65536. I have
too often faced the shortage of mbufs in FreeBSD!

> Compiled kernel with these options:
> options SHMSEG=16
> options SHMMNI=32
> options SHMMAX=2097152
> options SHMALL=4096
> options MAXFILES=8192
>

> I'm also running Dans Guardian on it too.

> My question is approximately how many users can I proxy for?

 From my experience, if you don't have too many or complicated filtering
rules in both Dans Guardian and Squid, then it should be scalable to
about 200 - 500 users.

A lot will also depend upon your internet connection link and your users
browsing habits. The size of bandwidth pipe and it's medium will also
determine how many users your proxy can handle.

And of course as Adrian mentioned, active monitoring and collecting
statistics from Squid and your FreeBSD machine via SNMP and MRTG/RRD
will help you out.

Thanking you...

> Thanks
>

> BSD Networking, Microsoft Notworking