Re: [squid-users] Proxy bypass problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:26:23 +1300 (NZDT)

> I'm not sure if this is a squid configuration problem or something else.
>
> I'm running Apache webserver for local intranet and squid/dansguardian for
> proxy/filter to internet.
>
> Instranet site is: mysite.mycompany.lan at 192.168.1.4 with a entry in
> ect/hosts as mysite.
>
> Proxy is 192.168.1.3 with DNS name of proxy.mycompany.lan Users are using
> Windows XP and IE 6 and 7 on workstations with IE configured to bypass
> proxy
> server for local addresses. A ping to mysite returns 192.168.1.4
>
> Problem.... On workstations (both IE 6 and 7), if I try to connect to
> http://mysite, IE tells me "Please configure the proxy server
> settings.....", however, if I try to connect to
> http://mysite.mycompany.lan
> or http://192.168.1.4, then I get connected. If I configure IE Exception
> "Do not use proxy server....." and enter mysite IP address it will load
> the
> site but causes other problems. (looks like it doesnt really bypass) What
> need to be able to do is have http://mysite and
> http://mysite.mycompany.lan
> bypass the proxy server without adding an exception. What am I doing
> wrong?

Using individual machine hosts configuration where global DNS is the
better option.

You can configure DNS views in most servers to supply one IP for localnet
machines (internal AND proxy) and another for external.

That means the one public FQDN can have internet users pointed at your
reverse-proxy and internal at the web server. Squid being one of the
internal finds the web server as source when asked to 'relay' the domain
for externals.

Even better (and easier!) is to use the proxy as facing to website for all
users so you can ghost-master the web server and create any number of
failovers as direct peers of squid.

Amos