Re: [squid-users] process load

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 05:14:35 +0900

ACLs are evaluated short-circuit. If you have this:

acl clientA src 1.2.3.0/24
acl clientB src 1.2.4.0/24
acl youtube (expensive regexp)
acl microsoft (expensive regexp)

http_access deny clientA youtube
http_access deny clientB microsoft

the http_access lines are evaluated in order from top to bottom, and stop being
evaluated across each http_access line if one of the ACLs fails.

So the expensive youtube regexp ACL will only be processed by requests from clientA.
Requests from clientB won't ever hit the youtube ACL lookup.

If you know how to craft ACLs then you can avoid almost all of the penalties.

Adrian