Re: [squid-users] Issue with CNN Video

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:08:34 +1300

Scott Anctil wrote:
> I have a Squid 2.6 system that has been working perfectly for the past month. (or so I thought) I have users complaining that when they go to the video section on CNN and attempt to watch videos they occasionally get a message in the video window that says “The video system was not able to establish connectivity due to a Proxy/Firewall or network connectivity.” If they click the same link again it works. They also have complained that the video takes 3-5 seconds to start when it is almost instantaneous when not using the proxy.
>
> None of these issues are experienced when not using the proxy.
>
> Any ideas?

Try grabbing the URI using squidclient and see if its shows any unusual
headers. This is usually caused by broken streaming servers trying
HTTP/1.1 stuff when they should not.

It might also be CNNs cluttered pages hogging squid resources with
uncachable content bottle-necking under all your users.

 From here it takes 45sec to load all 124 javascript files including the
40KB front page script. The flash-video advertising adds a further 15
sec each.
All their content is marked uncachable and pre-expired. That along would
make squid re-fetch the lot for each client request.

Amos