Re: [squid-users] solved - dns timeout , but working dns servers. Unable to determine IP address from host name

From: phil curb <jswordtestem@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:44:01 +0000 (GMT)

--- Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> phil curb wrote:
> > I was getting this error..
> > using windows port of squid
> >
> > Seems it was not getting DNS servers properly.
> > had to set both of them dns_nameservers in
> squid.conf
> >
> > then it worked.
> >
> > the short story with answer is
> > I did ipconfig /all
> > it shows 10.0.0.138 as DNS server, and 192.168.0.1
<snip rest of my post>

<snip your reply>

ok, amos. there have been some developments, based on
what you wrote.. I couldn`t find anything of your
reply to say yes to..

Removing dns_nameservers from squid.conf, so it is
like default.

When I set windows to get IP automatically, and DNS
manually..

 If I set DNS to 192.168.0.1 Then wireshark shows DNS
working normally..
comp to 192.168.0.1
192.168.0.1 to comp
I can browse (without squid).
And squid works too (I can browse with squid)

If I set comp DNS to 10.0.0.138, then Wireshark shows
DNS working funny, like I described in my post.
I can browse.
and squid does not work
(hence the dns_nameserver workaround)

Remember.. When I got DNS automatically, I got
10.0.0.138 Same thing as setting it manually to
10.0.0.138. same behaviour.

Looking at wireshark, the reason is probably that
windows can handle the funny DNS involving 2 ips even
when it is only given one ip as DNS server. Whereas
squid cannot handle that. Hence the dns_nameserver
workaround worked when specifying both DNS ips.

note- had to close and start squid (not IE) after any
change in windows DNS settings, for DNS change to take
effect.

> Nope. You applied a hack work-around to tell squid
> which of the two
> available DNS is the working one (192.168.0.1 first
> in the config).

No. I set dns_nameserver 192.168.0.1 10.0.0.138
it only worked when I had both.

And I do not have primary and secondary DNS servers
listed.
ipconfig /all only showed one DNS server.
If I had set 2 manually it would show 2. If my router
gave 2 via DHCP , it would show 2, but it does not.

> You should fix your router config to send out the
> correct DNS info to
> clients connecting to it. At present they are
> getting 10.0.0.138, and if
> you are lucky maybe 192.168.0.1 as secondary.

my router interface is ugly as hell.

I just set windows. And that fixed that problem. No
need for the dns_nameserver workaround to the problem
anymore.

so did not need to touch my router config.

> This tends to be a problem with local DNS server
> (yay the geekdom!) vs.
> home-user ADSL boxes. And I do mean 'vs.', theres a
> minor DNS-config war
> going on at DHCP allocation time.

I have no local DNS server, except my NAT Router ,
which you call a "home-user ADSL box" ,which like all
of them, is also a DNS server that is local.

> If you are not actively using the router as a
> properly configured DNS
> relay to your upstream external source, you should
> turn that bit off and
> set its DNS server details to be the internal /
> actual DNS server.
>
> Amos

I do not know enough about proxies and squid to
address what you write there.. But problem is
solved.. thanks in large part to your comments, even
though it turns out I disagree with all of them!!

jameshanley39

Sent from Yahoo! - the World's favourite mail http://uk.mail.yahoo.com