[squid-users] ProxyAuth credentials size limit

From: Glenn Zazulia <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:08:38 -0700

Hi,

I'm using Squid 2.6.STABLE17 on Redhat & Windows, configured in a chain
of peers with custom auth & external acl helpers that manipulate the
proxyauth credentials/header. This works fine when the user:passwd
string is less than 256 bytes (prior to base64-encoding), but I noticed
that squid truncates anything larger than that. I didn't find any
stated header size limit in the RFCs (2616, etc.), and I'm wondering if
this is an arbitrary, static limit imposed by squid? If at all
possible, I need to increase that limit to 1 KB, and I'm wondering if
this can be done without patching the source. I didn't see anything
obvious in the config file or the docs.

Thanks for any assistance that you could provide.

Glenn Zazulia