Re: [squid-users] Help with minimalistic pass-thru squid proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:18:46 +1300

securehell@hushmail.com wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am using a squid proxy to route http traffic through a separate
> router on my network. I am getting some traffic in my
> /var/log/squid/cache.log file:
>
> 2007/12/13 13:46:54| urlParse: Illegal character in hostname
> 'www.hostname1.com?404=y'
> 2007/12/13 14:01:44| urlParse: Illegal character in hostname
> 'www.hostname2.com?404=y'
> 2007/12/13 14:08:18| urlParse: Illegal character in hostname
> 'hostname3.com?404=y'
> 2007/12/13 14:13:37| urlParse: Illegal character in hostname
> 'hostname.com?404=y'
>
> I'm looking at the source of these URLs when this happens and the
> URL is not malformed.
>
> What I really want, though, is to turn off any kind of URL checking
> like this. I just want squid to pass any HTTP requests through
> unchecked and unaltered if possible. I also want to turn off all
> URL logging and caching.
>
> Can someone suggest how to do this in the squid config?

Please indicate which version of squid you are using.
  This is a sign of a serious error somewhere. "?404=y" is not valid in
a domain name.

> Also, if there are better suggestions (other than squid, that is) I
> would be glad to consider them.

Just routing? maybe configuring the router to do its job would be the thing.
I don't want to loose you from the squid family but it would certainly
be a lot less trouble and faster to route at the packet level.

Amos