Re: [squid-users] cache_peer weighting

From: Tony Dodd <tony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 01:01:46 +0000

Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Wanted to double check I hadn't screwed up my config lines before
>> dropping a bug report....
>
> Good choice. :-)
>
> round-robin == round-robin: each server trued in sequence until all have
> bee tried then repeats. No weighting there.
>
> IIRC Squid3.0 introduces weighted-round-robin for this purpose. Otherwise
> there is CARP in 2.6.
>
> Amos

Hey Amos,

Hmmm, so the only way for weighting cache_peers in 2.6 is with CARP?
The config manual seems to suggest otherwise:

"cache_peer 172.16.1.123 sibling 3129 5500 weight=2"

Or am I assuming too much here? I could be getting the wrong end of the
stick; but it seemed like using a similar cache_peer entries to the
above, but with a couple having the weight=100 didn't seem to change the
way squid was choosing the cache_peer to use.

Thanks!

--
Tony Dodd, Systems Administrator
Last.fm | http://www.last.fm