Re: [squid-users] aufs cache_dir growing beyond configured limits?

From: Neil Harkins <nharkins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:41:20 -0800

On 12/20/07, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2007, Neil Harkins wrote:
> > Aside from the fact that this one is an old version
> > (below), it's a little distressing to see squid occasionally
> > filling up a 1024M partition when configured for:
> >
> > cache_dir aufs /mnt/squid 950 32 384
>
> 950*1024
> 972800
>
> > /var/log/squid/cache.log:2007/12/20 13:09:03| Cache dir '/mnt/squid'
> > size changed to 972800 KB
>
> Thats the right size though!

ok fair enough there.

> You need to leave room for the swap state logs

I guess I assumed that squid was factoring in the size
of its swap.state file. I didn't see any log msgs to the
effect that it noticed the disk was full this time around.
Will squid expire more agressively if it notices write failures?

> or put them somewhere else. That could explain your filling of partition..

I've never seen a config that allows one to relocate swap.state
outside of the cache_dir. If it is configureable, please enlighten me.
Not that I think moving it out is a good idea...

Can a limit on the max # of objects be set per cache_dir,
so that number * the swap.state object struct size can
be subtracted from the partition size to use as much
as possible without going over?

What's "best practices" here?
Configure it for 95% and reduce
it by a little each time it fills?