Re: [squid-users] how to increase memory hit ratio

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 17:57:57 +1300

Alexandre Correa wrote:
> Hello !!
>
> "squidclient mgr:info" shows :
>
> Request Memory Hit Ratios: 5min: 4.5%, 60min: 6.2%
> Request Disk Hit Ratios: 5min: 44.9%, 60min: 48.8%
>
> my maximum_object_size_in_memory are 64kb ...

Whereas average object size on the internet these days is approaching 256KB

Have a look at your cache avg size stats (squidclient mgr:info) and
check "Mean Object Size". The memory objects should be at least that
size for good performance.

> this servers is dedicated to squid (quad opteron with 4gb ram,
> cache_mem 128MB) ..
>
> can i increat cache_mem to 256mb and maximum obj in memory to 128kb ?

You could increase cache_mem to 1GB and max mem objects to 512KB if you
like.

The more RAM you can throw at the mem cache the more MEM_HITs you are
going to get.

> which are the best values ?

Best depends on your server load and usage. Only a period of manual
monitoring and tweaking will show that. But in general more RAM is better.

Remembering of course that squid still uses additional RAM for its indexes.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17 or 3.0STABLE1.