[squid-users] FS Modules

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:20:10 -0500

As of 2004, the COSS storage module was "experimental" and "not intended
for everyday use". This, according to "Squid: The definitive Guide,
O'Rielly".

With the default UFS module enabled, we constantly run into issues when
squid reaches its maximum storage limit. When I say issues, I mean
intermittent connectivity because the cache is busy expiring its oldest
entries. The Coss approach sounds beneficial because squid maintains its
entire cache using 1 file. Instead of requiring several open calls and
close calls, squid can use one file to maintain the cache. So, when the
cache reaches its maximum size, squid can just start at the beginning of
the file and overwrite from there.

The theory of this process sounds wonderful. I wonder how COSS has
matured since 2004? Has it matured beyond the developmental phase?
Is there a different storage module I should consider?

I'm running 2.6STABLE12.

Thanks,

Tim Rainier