[squid-users] Server accelerator options: Squid, apache's built-in web caching or hardware "solutions"

From: Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:45:31 -0500

~
 I have read about Squid as surrogate server, but apache's httpd
itself has built-in web caching features
~
 Would you share with me your experience, if you have tried both
scenarios specially when employing virtual hosts and aliases?
~
 To me (and everyone else I guess ;-)) bandwidth is the critical
factor on a server. How important would be serving a page right off
the cache when it still has to go its merry way on a slow connection?
Relating to this issue, something that isn't still clear to me; does
squid serve the static gzipped content returned by the server, which
much browsers can handle?
~
 Had anyone actually gauge the performance gain you have while using
squid instead of just using apache?
~
 Thanks
 lbrtchx