Re: [squid-users] squid 2.7 vs 3.x

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:29:57 +0900

The decision was made a while ago to not use the STL for various reasons.
These mostly included portability and bugs in the compiler and STL libraries.
I'm guessing that these have mostly been fixed.

Thing is, the STL is "great" until you need to optimise for performance,
then you need to know a bit more about them then was preached :)
For example, if you don't preallocate a size for an array template
(I forget the details, I stopped playing with the STL) then every time
you add an item to the array it'll actually allocate a new array,
copy constructor the objects into the new array, and then dereference/destroy
the old array. This makes for bad performance until you fire up a profiler
and debugger. :)

Thats why the Boost library exists. Its basically the STL done sensibly
and portably, with all the extra types that make C++ development shiny.
You can still make poor decisions using Boost, and I dare say if all you
know is Boost/C++ then you may try shoehorning -everything- into what those
tools provide you, but at least they provide the potential for portable,
high performance, efficient C++ development. shared_ptr for example seems
extraordinarily nifty.

Personally, I think the biggest problem with the Squid project to date is
the lack of coherent architecture and direction. I admit to being a dissenting
voice since shortly after the C++ effort began, but I'd like to think its
been with reason. (Eg: the Squid-2.5 + $LARGE_PATCH_SET debacle which resulted
in me forking off to a seperate side release for a while, which eventually
kicked the other developers into releasing Squid-2.6.)

I'm not going to jump on the Squid-3 bandwagon. I'll stick to developing
"C Squid" because thats what I'm interested in doing, and the only thing that'll
sway me is people ceasing to use "C Squid". :) In fact, I don't -strictly-
have anything against C++. If this means that I'll have to take what I'm doing
into a new project and leave the "Squid" path to be Squid-3 and make their
lives easier then so be it.

No, Squid-2.7 doesn't support all of HTTP/1.1. Squid-2 is just starting to grow
the internal restructuring that will make HTTP/1.1 compliance easier to achieve
without massive shoehorning and sledgehammering of the required concepts.
It at least decodes chunked encoded responses from HTTP servers which shouldn't
be responding with it to a HTTP/1.0 request.

Adrian