Re: [squid-users] squid 2.7 vs 3.x (was: Re: [squid-users] squid-2.7 pre-release testing)

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 13:13:23 +1100

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 09:52 +0900, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2008, Marcus Kool wrote:
>
> > I tried the FAQ and Squid website for some more info but I found none.
> > The RoadMap2 and RoadMap3 are a bit vague to draw any conclusions.
>
> Thats because we're developers, not documentation authors. :)
>
> > Can you be more elaborate ? What are the major differences between
> > 3.x and 2.7 ?
>
> 3.x: has some internal code restructuring, is a C/C++ hybrid, includes
> integrated ICAP support; Amos has ipv6 support included in 3.HEAD.

IIRC tagged delay pools were merged, definitely per-user delay pools
(class 4 pools) support was merged, ESI, modular disk IO stuff taken
further.

Some of that is really nasty to try to get working in 2.x (in particular
the tagged delay pools), and is largely benefits from 'internal
restructuring'.

The STL stuff was a compromise made when the c++ 'compiles now'
transition was done, but IMO we should be supporting the STL now,
particularly as boost which you reference in this thread is layered on
the STL. (It's not 'STL done right' it's 'Beta quality STL' - the goal
of the boost authors is to be the on-ramp for future releases of the
STL, as has happened recently with some of the core boost types).

-Rob