[squid-users] mime-type based delay pools

From: Amitava Bhattacharyya <amitava.bhattacharyya@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:24:25 +0530

Hi!

 I am a member of the Student Network Club at our institute. We are
facing problems related to slow access speeds, even though the
bandwidth is not so less (12 Mbps for students). We decided to set up
our own proxy server (since getting authorization to access/modify the
institute servers would take quite some time) to monitor utilization.
As part of this exercise, we would also like to implement delay pool
based bandwidth management. Since it is very likely that big downloads
and youtube are eating up the bandwidth, will a mime type based delay
pool work in this case? And how exactly do I set it up?
For example, if i define two delay pools, one based on based on hostel
IPs and the other on mime-types (question: would this be a class 1
delay pool?), and say give limit of 16 kBps / 4 MB for the downloads
stream, how will this be enforced? Will this mean that _every_
download less than 4 MB goes un-delayed, and beyond that it fills up
at 16 kBps?

--
Best regards,
Amitava Bhattacharyya