[squid-users] Unable to increase filedescriptor limit -- tried all things

From: bijayant kumar <bijayant4u@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:43:40 +0000 (GMT)

Hello list,

I am using squid as proxy server on gentoo box. All of
a sudden from
 2nd January in my cache.log i am seeing the error

WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors

When this messages repeats frequently, browsing
becomes dead slow in
 2mbps line. We have 2GB RAM, and 1 GB swap , dual
core processor system.

After googling, checking Squid Faq i have tried to
increase the limit
 of filedescriptors on my system. But i am not able to
do. Please help me
 out. here i am giving some information for better
picture

OS - gentoo
Kernel - 2.6.18-gentoo-r6
Squid - net-proxy/squid-2.6.12
           USE Flags=ipf-transparent pam ssl

I have changed the filedescriptors in
/usr/include/bits/typesizes.h

Number of descriptors that can fit in an `fd_set'
#define __FD_SETSIZE 2048

In /etc/init.d/squid
ulimit -HSn 2048

~ $ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
50516

The relevent part of /etc/squid/squid.conf after
search on google/faq

client_persistent_connections off
server_persistent_connections off
cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid 2000 16 256
url_rewrite_children 30

I did all things specified in Squid Wiki and Faq.
After that i have
 recompiled the squid and rebooted my machine also
without any luck. I am
 still getting the warning in my logs, and ulimit -n
as 1024.

I have tried all possible things without any success.
Please help me or
 give me some direction.

Bijayant Kumar