Re: [squid-users] Unable to increase filedescriptor limit -- tried all things

From: Gonzalo Arana <gonzalo.arana@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:11:33 -0200

On Jan 25, 2008 2:58 AM, bijayant kumar <bijayant4u@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Arana,
>
> Thanks for your reply. As you are suggesting in your
> reply that incresing the filedescriptor can be
> dangerous. Is there any other way to get rid of this
> warning, because this warning makes browsing dead

by "the warning" you mean the "Maximum filedescriptors set to 131072"
message on ./configure output? That's not a warning, just
an informative message.

> slow,and the box is deployed at our client place. I
> have to do things fast. If you have any other
> suggestion besides the increasing file descriptor
> please suggest me.

Setting the FD limit to a ridiculous high value (like 131072)
is a bit dangerous if you are using select or poll (the default
connection polling schemes), because the kernel has to
spend too many time checking each FD state on each squid
main loop.

If you are using epoll on Linux that danger dissapears, as CPU
usage becomes rather independent on the number of open FDs.
epoll is enabled by adding --enable-epoll in ./configure args.

So, setting max_fd to a really high value and using epoll
makes squid much more scalable.

HTH,

--
Gonzalo A. Arana