Re: [squid-users] CTRL-F5 timeout problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:39:24 +1300 (NZDT)

> Generally Squid is working fine, except that users with Internet
> Explorer (seems not to be a problem in Firefox) sometimes encounter long
> delays (15 minutes) when they force a refresh using CTRL-F5 and the page
> is truncated when they do get it back. Sometimes the problem occurs
> immediately, sometimes it may need up to 15 CTRL-f5's before it occurs.
>
> I'm running Squid 2.5.17 on windows 2003 server with three Zopes in a

Well, there are a LOT of known problems with IE and modern web servers. If
its critical for you, try using the latest 2.6 and all the many
compatibility fixes that have been found and fixed since 2.5.

> load balanced configuration using ICP:
> *********snippet
> acl in_knetpool dstdomain knetpool
>
> cache_peer 10.110.7.111 parent 8001 9980 no-digest no-netdb-exchange
> name=port8001
> cache_peer 10.110.7.111 parent 8005 9981 no-digest no-netdb-exchange
> name=port8005
> cache_peer 10.110.7.111 parent 8010 9982 no-digest no-netdb-exchange
> name=port8010
>
> cache_peer_access port8001 allow in_knetpool
> cache_peer_access port8005 allow in_knetpool
> cache_peer_access port8010 allow in_knetpool
>
> cache_peer_access port8001 deny all
> cache_peer_access port8005 deny all
> cache_peer_access port8010 deny all
>
> # THE FOLLOWING DIRECTIVE IS NEEDED TO MAKE 'backendpool' RESOLVE TO
> # THE POOL OF CACHE PEERS.
> # peer balancing: uncommented next two lines
> never_direct allow all
> icp_access allow all
> *********end snippet
>
> The 15 minute timeframe suggested a read_timeout and reducing this
> parameter to 5 minutes caused the truncated page to be returned in only
> 5 minutes.
>
> Some judicial use of a packet sniffer suggested that Squid had ICP'd the
> Zopes and received the page's entire HTML from a Zope (within 3 seconds)
> before starting to deliver it to Internet Explorer. Partway through
> sending it to IE, Squid had sent a smaller than usual (622 bytes rather
> than 4150) http packet to IE (and IE had acknowledged it) and then no
> further data was sent until Squid timed out (logged a httpTimeout). IE
> then requested other items in the page (CSS, images etc) before
> displaying a truncated page (HTML truncation matched the last content
> from the small data packet sent by squid).
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Try a more recent squid, the behaviour will likely be different and we can
then trace it through the codebase and possibly fix if its a true bug.

Amos