Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxy non-performance benefits

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:12:32 -0500

On Feb 6, 2008, at 3:44 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

>> I see Apache can also do reverse proxy, which was surprising to me,
>> or
>> is it not quite the same thing?
>
> Sort of. :)

Apache's ProxyPass module performs similar proxying functionality, but
without squid's caching abilities, so you won't get any traffic-
offloading benefits, which really is squid's raison d'etre - the other
benefits Adrian mentioned are more or less side benefits.

If caching isn't a requirement and your main serves are apache boxes,
using ProxyPass might be something to consider if you don't want to
have to deal with squid in front and apache on the backend - apache in
both places might be easier for you to manage.

-C