Re: [squid-users] conditionally setting proxy on the fly

From: Denis Cardon <denis.cardon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:13:32 +0100

Hi Albretch,

> I run a small comp lab and I would like to use squid running in one
> of the machines in the internal network, sometimes (when many students
> need to basically access the same files) but some other times I would
> let them go online through some ISP's proxy server
> ~
> This is more of a browser thing, but I could imagine some of you have
> dealt with these kinds of issues before
> ~
> Is there such a thing as a way for browsers (IE and Firefox) to
> detect proxy settings on the fly when they start up and if first proxy
> settings don't work then proxy settings B should be used?

you can configure the proxy settings of your browsers
by using .pac file. Pac files can be detected automatically by browsers
using DHCP or DNS configuration.

By the way, .pac files can have a quite complicated logic, so you might
be able to cram all the logic inside and not even need to change the pac
from time to time.

cheers,

Denis

--