[squid-users] ANN: New archive for squid mailing lists

From: Ryan Grimm <grimm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:53:07 -0800

Hello,

Last November Jason Hunter and I launched a site called MarkMail (http://markmail.org
) for archiving and searching mailing lists. We launched the site with
roughly 4,000,000 messages from Apache. Since that time we've added
lists from MySQL, PHP, Ruby and many more including Squid. Given that
we front our site with Squid, this only seemed appropriate. You can
easily restrict your searches to just the Squid lists by visiting http://squid.markmail.org
  directly.

As you'll see with the chart on the home page, one of our goals with
the site has been to give you a high level view of what's going on
with the list. We do this by letting you know how many messages per
month match your query, what lists those messages were posted to, who
posted them, how many had attachments and of what type, etc. You can
also use this information to easily refine your search results. A
quick look tells us that Henrik Nordstrom is by far the most frequent
poster to this list with 16,531 messages to date.

Another goal has been interactivity. We did a lot with keyboard
shortcuts. You can hit "n" and "p" to move to the next and previous
result, "j" and "k" move up and down the thread view, 's' will take
you to the search box and many others that you might find naturally.
There's a lot of little things like this. Plus if your result message
includes an attachment they are visible directly inside the browser,
even Office and PDF files (there actually is a few of them on the
list). We also look inside attachments for your search terms as well.

Here's a few tips for using the site:

* Search using keywords as well as from:, subject:, extension:, and
list: constraints.

* The GUI doesn't yet expose it, but you can negate any search term.

* You can restrict your query based on date by selecting a region on
the graph.
    You can also use the more powerful date: query constraint, for
more info check out: http://markmail.blogspot.com/2008/01/give-us-date-and-well-search-it.html

* Remember to use "n" and "p" keyboard shortcuts as a time saver for
navigating search results.

* You're going to want JavaScript enabled

I hope you all find the archive useful and let me know if you have any
questions or feedback.

--Ryan