[squid-users] Squid automatically builds the COSS storage file

From: Richard Wall <richard@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:04:28 +0000

Hi,

My first post to squid-users, so first let me thank the developers for
their work on Squid.

I'm working with 2.6.STABLE17 and am experimenting with COSS storage.
According to the COSS Faq page, you have to create the COSS storage
file (using dd) before pointing Squid to it:
 * http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/CyclicObjectStorageSystem

I have found that infact, you can simply configure Squid with some
non-existent COSS file and if it is not there and Squid has
permissions to write to the parent directory, Squid will build the
file for you.

I was going to update the wiki page, but thought I'd check here first,
to see if there are any benefits to creating the COSS file manually or
circumstances in which it is required?

Before realising that I could let Squid manage the COSS file creation,
I wrote a script to check for the existence of the file and check that
it had the expected size. If not then it DDs the file as part of the
squid start up.

This seemed to work, but after running squid for a while, I find that
the file size has increased and therefore my script thinks there's a
problem.

 * I wondered whether this is expected behaviour?
 * If the size of the COSS file does change unexpectedly, does it
signify a problem?
 * I find that I can reuse an existing COSS file, but tell Squid that
it's capacity is greater than the size of the exisiting file. Should
Squid complain about this, or will it dynamically resize the file once
it reaches capacity?

Thanks in advance.

-RichardW.