[squid-users] DNS-based reverse proxy peer selection, 2.5 vs 2.6

From: Sven Edge <sven.edge@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:57:30 -0000

Hi there,

I'm trying to upgrade our reverse proxy setup from 2.5 to 2.6, and
understand that the relevant config words have changed, but I'm not sure
how to emulate our current setup.

In the 2.5 config,
        httpd_accel_host virtual
and possibly also
        httpd_accel_single_host off
        httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
mean that web servers are chosen from our internal DNS, without needing
to be hardcoded as cache_peer lines in the squid.conf, let alone
cache_peer_access/cache_peer_domain for each vhost (we have dozens).

Is there a way to do this in 2.6?

Having to edit-config/reload each squid server if I want to add/remove
web servers, or move a non-clusterable vhost from one server to another,
would be a pain compared with editing DNS in one place and having the
servers picking that up automatically.

I'm vaguely aware of redirectors, but presumably that way it (I?) would
basically have to reimplement lots of things 2.5 already does.

Thanks,

Sven