Re: [squid-users] strtocFile WARNING: empty ACL

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:33:55 +1300

adrian.wells wrote:
>>> SQUID 2.5 stable12
>>
>> Please try a later version of squid.
> Will do once sorted ;-)

Trouble with that is if its an old bug we could spend a week tracing it
only to find the solution is an upgrade.

After an upgrade the free-support people like myself can usually
identify the log messages etc. Or at worst trace things down in the code
itself.

2.5 has not been actively debugged in at least two years, so most of us
are very rusty on it, if ever learned that is.

>>> Have just built a SuSE linux box and installed squid, as I have done
>>> many times, copied the conf and ACL text files from a running proxy
>>> and get the following list of errors for each ...
>>>
>>> 2008/02/19 10:27:42| strtokFile: /etc/squid/etc/girls.txt
>>> 2008/02/19 10:27:42| aclParseAclLine: WARNING: empty ACL:
>>> auid/etc/girls.txt"
>>
>> I'm thinking at first glance that "auid" might be a problem.
>> It's usually a sign of non-ascii characters cut-n-pasted into the
>> squid.conf text.
> At this stage I've only removed a few unrequired ACL's, not edited the
> text in any way.
> While waiting for a reply, I've started rebuilding the box from scratch
> as it only takes a few minutes.
> I will check the text for anomalies in the meantime - thanks ;-)
>
> P.S I've lost the original thread, but would like to thank you for
> helping with a previous problem, you suggested that the ISP might be
> block ports, they were! 3128!

I don't recall sorry. So many emails coming and going while I try to
escape other work.

> - I have tried 3129 and it works fine, are
> there any recommended ports to use with squid other than 80 or 8080?

Not really. The admin work for configuration when using non-standard
ports is pretty much fixed. It won't change much whether you use 1 or 65534.

> Regards
>
> Adrian
>

>>> If I copy and past the address in the error to a file browser, I get
>>> to see the file!
>>>
>>> This works perfectly on the previous machine running the same version
>>> of SuSE & Squid!
>>> I have re-installed squid.
>>> Can anyone please offer a solution?
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Adrian
>>>
>>> girls.txt is just a list of MAC addresses
>>> e.g.
>>> 00:1B:77:8A:D5:CF # Wir User Name
>>> 00:1B:24:7E:CB:B1 # LAN User Name

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+