Re: [squid-users] Logging users

From: Peter Albrecht <peter.albrecht@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:56:18 +0100

Hi Sam,

On Friday 22 February 2008 13:31, Sam Carleton wrote:
> Is there any way to get squid-cache to log the user? The request is
> coming from the wife to keep taps on the kids.

If not 100% sure but I think if you require authentication of your users
you will see the usernames in the logs. The easiest way should be using an
ident daemon on the client computer. Then all requests contain user
information.

> Also, does anyone know of any good *NIX firewall/proxy distro's
> designed to keep the home clean of the crap?

I guess any modern Linux distribution has something like a personal
firewall. For obvious reasons :-) I'd recommend having a look at openSUSE
10.3 and checking out SuSEfirewall2. The basic configuration should be
straight forward for most situations. Of course you would have to
configure Squid as well.

Another distribution worth looking at could be IPcop. But I have never used
it myself.

Regards,

Peter

--
Peter Albrecht, Novell Training Services