Re: [squid-users] Clearing the cache

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 01:40:59 +1300

Ric wrote:

> In http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ClearingTheCache, it says to
> purge the cache via:
>
> squid -k shutdown
> rm -r /squid/cache/*
> squid -z
> squid
>
> I've seen elsewhere say to use:
>
> squid -k shutdown
> echo '' > /squid/cache/swap.state
> squid
>
> I like this second one -- it's fast and simple (and less scary than a
> recursive rm with fumbling fingers). Any problems with it?

Removal of only swap.state causes formally 'undefined' behaviour. For
now it continues to drop the cache. But there is no guarantee that will
remain.

As for the scary fumbling: what are you doing erasing the proxy cache in
the first place? It's a last-resort on severe drive write failures!
Just removing swap.state does not solve that problem.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+