Re: [squid-users] confused config on default squid.conf

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 03:43:31 +0100

tor 2008-02-21 klockan 09:43 +0800 skrev J. Peng:

> # By combining nonhierarchical_direct off and prefer_direct on you
> # can set up Squid to use a parent as a backup path if going direct
> # fails.
>

> Why it's "nonhierarchical_direct off and prefer_direct on"?
> I think it should be "nonhierarchical_direct on and prefer_direct on".

Because if you set nonhierarchical_direct on, then going via a peer on
nonhierarchical requests is not an option to Squid.

nonhierarchical_direct off disables the special forwarding selection
normally used for "nonhierarchical" requests, instead making Squid
select the forwarding path in the same manner for both kinds of
requests.