Re: [squid-users] FTP access configuration

From: Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:57:17 +0530

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Henrik Nordström
<henrik@henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> fre 2008-02-22 klockan 12:48 +0530 skrev Arun Shrimali:
>

> > Is there any way that browser pop up for the username and password,
> > because the said method disclose the password to all and that could be
> > a security issue .......
>
> Squid supports this mode of operation when seeing ftp://user@host/ style
> URLs, but unfortunately most clients tries to be either too dumb or too
> smart to handle it right.
>
> It's quite amasing as when using a proxy there technically is no
> difference at all between http:// and ftp:// to the browser other than
> the difference in letters. In both cases the request is sent over HTTP
> to the HTTP proxy with then gateways ftp:// requests to FTP. Yet they
> handle the two schemes very very differently..
>
> Regards
> Henrik

I have tried the said method also ftp://user@host/, but I found the
following error ( I have the ftp username as reso.ac.in)

While trying to retrieve the URL: ftp://reso.ac.in@reso.ac.in/
The following error was encountered:
Cache Access Denied.
Sorry, you are not currently allowed to request:
    ftp://reso.ac.in@reso.ac.in/
from this cache until you have authenticated yourself.
You need to use Netscape version 2.0 or greater, or Microsoft Internet
Explorer 3.0, or an HTTP/1.1 compliant browser for this to work.
Please contact the cache administrator if you have difficulties
authenticating yourself or change your default password.

There might be need to configure, thus i am enclosing squid.conf herewith.

Arun