Re: [squid-users] Why squid -z

From: Angela Williams <angie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:29:49 +0200

On Tuesday 26 February 2008, Ric wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2008, at 2:25 AM, Angela Williams wrote:
> > On Tuesday 26 February 2008, Ric wrote:
> >> I'm wondering why we require "squid -z" before starting up Squid for
> >> the first time. Is there some reason why Squid shouldn't do this
> >> automatically when necessary?

> > Just a simple scenario?
> > I use a separate cache file system for all my many squid boxes.
> > Now for some reason one of the boxes get bounced and my squid cache
> > filesystem
> > fails to mount but squid comes up happily and say Oh look I don't
> > have any
> > cache directory structure so let me make one! Root filesystem is
> > limited in
> > space and then this dirty great big directory structure is created
> > and then
> > gets used by squid. In the twinkling of an eye the root filesystem
> > is full!
> >
> > Ever tried to solve this kind of problem when the server is hundreds
> > of
> > kilometers away? Its phun!
> >
> > Give me squid -z!!

> I'm wondering if this is better solved with a directive in squid.conf
> to disallow (or allow if you prefer) the automatic creation of the
> cache structure.

To me this does not make sense really.
I setup a squid server, create the squid cache structure and start squid.
I can count the numbers of time I have had to rebuild a fresh cache structure
on the fingers of 1 hand. Replace a fault harddrive, increase or decrease the
cache size and thats it!

Cheers
Ang

--
Angela Williams				Enterprise Outsourcing
Unix/Linux & Cisco spoken here!		Bedfordview