Re: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap

From: Ric <lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:05:56 -0800

On Feb 26, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Hello Squid folk,
>
> I maintain Yahoo!'s internal build of Squid, and serve as a resource
> for the various Y! properties that use it.
>
> We currently only use Squid-2, and don't have plans to migrate to
> Squid-3; although ESI, ICAP as well as eCAP look interesting, there
> are too many critical features (e.g., collapsed fowarding, refresh
> stale hit, full Vary/ETag support, not to mention several things in
> 2.7DEVEL0) missing for us to use it. Additionally, anecdotal
> evidence shows that it's still too unstable and slow for production
> use where these aspects are important; or at least, there is enough
> doubt about them to make switching too risky for too little benefit.

I like to emphasize what for me is the killer feature in Squid-3. The
Surrogate-Control header that comes with the ESI support. The ability
to aggressively manage the caching behavior of a reverse-proxy cache
(aka surrogate) without contaminating the Cache-Control header would
be real handy. I'm still using Squid-2 because of the above mentioned
concerns but I'm salivating.

Ric