[squid-users] Help calculating hardware requirements?

From: Ed Flecko <edflecko@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:18:23 -0800

Hi folks,
I need a little help calculating my hardware requirements, and hoping
someone might help me out. :)

Since memory and SATA drives are so cheap these days, I want to build
a server (running OpenBSD) using 8Gb. of memory and a single, large
hard drive.

I see from the Squid wiki at:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidMemory#head-09818ad4cb8a1dfea1f51688c41bdf4b79a69991

"As a rule of thumb on Squid uses approximately 10 MB of RAM per GB of
the total of all cache_dirs (more on 64 bit servers such as Alpha),
plus your cache_mem setting and about an additional 10-20MB. It is
recommended to have at least twice this amount of physical RAM
available on your Squid server."

Based on these estimates, 5Gb. of memory would support an approximate
250Gb partition and still leave 3Gb. left over for the OS.

1.) Does this sound about right?
2.) Can someone recommend what SATA drive size I might purchase and
how I might want to partition it? The ONLY thing this server will be
used for is Squid so it will not have ANY other software installed.

Thanks,
Ed