[squid-users] NTLM Fails at boot

From: Wayne Swart <wayne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:09:33 +0200 (SAST)

Hi everyone

I have a strange issue on squid-2.6.STABLE6-5.el5_1.2 running on CentOS 5.1
(2.6.18-53.1.13.el5PAE)

I have samba and winbind working on our local domain and squid authenticates
perfectly from it.

My issue however is that squid fails to start at boot time with the following
(seems rather common) error:

Feb 29 09:56:58 firewall (squid): The basicauthenticator helpers are crashing too rapidly, need help!
Feb 29 09:56:58 firewall squid[3047]: Squid Parent: child process 3124 exited due to signal 6
Feb 29 09:56:58 firewall squid[3047]: Exiting due to repeated, frequent failures

After the machine has booted and I ssh to it I can start it manually
as root from cmdln fine with exactly the same rc script as the one that is
used at boot time, and it starts without any errors and works 100% fine with ntlm_auth on our domain.

I believe this is a permissions issue, but I am not sure why.
I have moved smb and winbind to start after the network service and squid
to start last in runlevel 3 but to no avail. Thinking that maybe something
in smb does not start properly before squid inits.
Then I removed the rc3.d symlink for squid and called it from rc.local
with a 3d script:

sleep 30
/etc/init.d/squid start

It still fails with the same error.

Here is the auth_param part of my config, even though I doubt its a config
problem.

auth_param ntlm program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
auth_param ntlm children 10

auth_param basic program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm This is a proxy server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks

Wayne