Re: [squid-users] how big value should auth_param basic children be?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:57:48 +0100

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 08:26 +0800, Yong Bong Fong wrote:
> Hi,
> Just wondering how to define the optimum value for auth_param basic
> children. I have around 200+ users utilizing my proxy-ldap
> authentication. Currently i have set it to 20, i wonder if that is
> beyond redundant and what is actually the appropriate value to
> accommodate the users?

20 should be plenty enoght for your users.

You can use cachemgr to get a feeling of how much the helpers are used.
If you go to the basig authentication helpers screen you will see each
of the helpers instances listed and the number of times it was used.
Most likely you will find that only the first three or so have been
used...

There is no huge penalty from having too many basic auth children
started. Costs only a little memory for the helper program and a
filedescriptor for Squid..