Re: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:44:37 -0500

On Tuesday 04 March 2008 7:36:50 am Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm quite disappointed in the lack of feedback from the community over
> this. Its hard to figure out what people want if noone speaks up, so
> this is your time to speak up.

I see nothing attractive in Squid v3.0.

I don't mean to imply any criticism of the Squid developers. Indeed, I am
grateful for their efforts over the years. It is just that the feature
set of 3.0 is not geared to my needs.

The ICAP/ESI and authentication improvements seem geared to large
installations (corporate use), but that's not my environment. I don't
run a hierarchy of web proxies. I have a single Squid installation which
I use for client performance and bandwidth reduction purposes on a small
Linux network

What I want is a fast, stable web proxy. Really, the only desired
enhancement that comes immediately to mind is full HTTP v1.1 compliance.

Until 3.0 I always ran the current version of Squid. I'm currently
running 2.6S18. My expectation is that my next version of Squid will be
either 2.6S19 or 2.7S1, depending on how the developer politics shake
out.

There's nothing terribly wrong with Squid v3.0, but nothing terribly
desireable about it either.