RE: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap

From: Dodd, Tony <tony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 02:19:46 -0000

<snip>
> 3.0 was about parity with needs. It failed some in that regard.
> 3.1 is about making up that failure plus some.
> Is seamless IPv6, SSL control, and weighted round-robin not enough of
> killer app for you?

SSL control is nice, but we don't use SSL anywhere near squid, so it's
not a big issue either way for us... we already have weighted
round-robin in -2 by using CARP with specific weights, unless you're
talking about something different? As for IPv6... eh, I suppose that'll
be nice if IPv6 actually starts getting use sometime this decade.

As Mark said, multicore would be quite awesome, as would better memory
management, better I/O throughput on the cache_dir, proper support for
memory only caches, support for acl based cache_dir's (i.e. cache_dir
foo allow dstdomain blah while denying everything else and cache_dir bar
allow dstdomain boo while denying everything else) to improve overall
hit-rate and decrease cache file flapping, handling of a cache_dir
failure that doesn't include squid dumping core, HTTP/1.1 support,
options support.

Things in 2.6 I'd like to see in 3 (on top of mark's list):

COSS support - stable, with all the functions -2 has
follow_x_forwarded_for
refresh_stale_hit
umask support

-Tony