Re: [squid-users] centralized storage for squid

From: Kinkie <gkinkie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:13:28 +0100

2008/3/6 Siu Kin LAM <sklam2005@yahoo.com.hk>:
> Dear all
>
> At this moment, I have several squid servers for http
> caching. Many duplicated objects have been found in
> different servers. I would minimize to data storage
> by installing a large centralized storage and the
> squid servers mount to the storage as data disk.
>
> Have anyone tried this before?

I recommend you do not follow this path. The shared storage tank would
be extremely critical performance-wise and would soon become a
bottleneck. Furthermore the cached objects would be different enough
that de-duplication algorithms would be probably ineffective.
Local storage is so cheap these days that that it makes much more
sense to just keep the data duplication.

As an alternative, split your squid farm in two layers, with the first
level acting as an intelligent load balancing layer (using CARP) for
the caching workhorse which should be the second layer.

--
    /kinkie