[squid-users] Squid/Samba authenication with wrong username

From: Leach, Shane - MIS Laptop <mis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:17:16 -0500

I currently have Samba 3.028 and Squid 7:2.6Stable set up to
authenticate Active Directory users to the proxy server. I want the
proxy to be transparent though and it is not.

While testing some ideas I found on the Internet, I tried the following
command:

wbinfo -a DOMAIN\\USERNAME%PASSWORD

and received a "No user found" message. I then tried the following:

wbinfo -a USERNAME%PASSWORD

and received a successful authentication.

Whenever an Internet browser attempts to go to a website, the user is
prompted for a username and password. They cannot enter it in this
format "DOMAIN\USERNAME" or they will receive a failure. Instead, they
have to enter like "USERNAME".

It occurs to me that the actual user that is logged into XP is
"DOMAIN\USERNAME" rather than the other... is there a way to have Samba
recognize this? I am wanting to get rid of the login required.

Shane