Re: [squid-users] Squid -k reconfigure causes FATAL

From: BJ Tiemessen <btiemessen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:46:40 -0600

I was going to send this issue to the list this week but have not got
around to it yet. I noticed this last week. We are using 2.6 STABLE 16
with a custom written url rewriter (in perl). We had calls to squid -k
reconfigure when a new user was added to the system but when a batch
user import was run the system crashed. After doing a little digging I
noticed that for a brief period of time (a couple seconds or less) squid
launches an extra url_rewrite_children number of rewriters.

So on this system our url_rewrite_children is set to 7 and squid -k
reconfigure was called more than 70 times in a few seconds which
resulted in more than 490 rewriters being launched so the system ran out
of memory and crashed. It turns out on our system we did not need to be
calling reconfigure so we took that call out but it still seems odd that
squid is launching an extra set of redirectors.

So yes your problems sounds like the same thing I ran into and seems to
be a problem with how squid is shutting down and launching redirectors.

BJ

Stephen wrote:
| Hi,
|
| When my cache is busy, if I issue a SQUID -K RECONFIGURE then Squid very
| often crashes with:
|
| FATAL: Too many queued url_rewriter requests (54 on 12)
|
| This seems only to happen when the cache is busy. Once the FATAL has
| occurred, Squid needs to be restarted manually.
|
| Changing the number of url_rewriters does not seem to make any difference.
| Also, issuing the reconfigure when the cache is not being used or is under
| light load is never a problem.
|
| Is the problem with Squid, or the re-writer? I think it may be an
issue with
| how Squid handles incoming requests during the reconfigure (and the
shutdown
| and restart of its url_rewriter helpers). I am using SquidGuard 1.3 as the
| url_rewriter. All DBs are in binary format, so startup time is not long.
|
| I am using Squid 2.6 STABLE 18 with the select loop.
|
| Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts you may have,
|
| Stephen

- --
BJ Tiemessen
eSoft Inc.