Re: [squid-users] BYPASS UPON FAILURE

From: K K <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 03:03:36 -0500

On 3/22/08, Sadiq Walji <sadiq.walji@intafrica.com> wrote:
> When squid fails, all the users cannot browse and we have to manually stop
> squid to bypass it. Is there any way/feature that enables to bypass squid
> automatically if and when it fails or has some problems?

Yes, use a PAC (Proxy Automatic Configuration) set in the browser.

     http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Technology/ProxyPac

The PAC script instructs the browser wat explicit (non-transparent)
proxy or proxies to use, and can fall back to DIRECT. For
Windows/MSIE the setting can be done automatically by WPAD, DHCP, or
GPO. For non-microsoft, this needs to be configured manually on each
client.

PAC is supported in all modern graphical browsers.

Kevin