Re: [squid-users] RAID is good (was: Re: [squid-users] Hardware setup ?)

From: Richard Wall <richard@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 00:03:00 +0000

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Marcus Kool
<marcus.kool@urlfilterdb.com> wrote:
> I wish that the wiki for RIAD is rewritten.
> Companies depend on internet access and a working Squid proxy
> and therefore the advocated "no problem if a single disk fails"
> is not from today's reality.
> One should also consider the difference between
> simple RAID and extremely advanced RAID disk systems

Recently I've spent a fair bit of time benchmarking a Squid system
whose COSS and AUFS storage (10GB total) + access logging are on a
RAID0 array of two consumer grade SATA disks. For various reasons, I'm
stuck with RAID0 for now, but I thought you might be interested to
hear that the box performs pretty well.

The box can handle a 600 - 700 Req/Sec Polygraph polymix-4 benchmark with a
~40% document hit ratio.
usage
Doubling the total storage to 20GB, increased the doc hit ratio to
55%, but hit response times began to increase noticably during the top
phases.

CPU was about 5% idle during the top phases. Logs were being rotated
and compressed every five minutes. CPU usage never

Some initial experiments suggest that removing RAID doesn't
particularly improve performance, but I intend to do a more thorough
set of benchmarks soon.

I'm not sure how relevant this is to your discussion. I don't know how
RAID0 performance is expected to compare to RAID5.

I'll post here if and when I do more benchmarking without RAID.

-RichardW.

== Spec ==
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
RAM: 3GB
Disks: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 160GB
Squid: 2.6.STABLE17
Linux Kernel: 2.6.23.8
FS: reiserfs

== Squid Conf (extract) ==
# NETWORK OPTIONS
http_port 800 transparent

# MEMORY CACHE OPTIONS
cache_mem 152 MB
maximum_object_size_in_memory 50 KB

# DISK CACHE OPTIONS
cache_replacement_policy lru
# TOTAL AVAILABLE STORAGE: 272445 MB
# MEMORY STORAGE LIMIT: 46694 MB
# CONFIGURED STORAGE LIMIT: 10000 MB
cache_dir coss /squid_data/squid/coss0 2000 max-size=16000
cache_swap_log /squid_data/squid/%s
cache_dir coss /squid_data/squid/coss1 2000 max-size=16000
cache_swap_log /squid_data/squid/%s
cache_dir coss /squid_data/squid/coss2 2000 max-size=16000
cache_swap_log /squid_data/squid/%s
cache_dir aufs /squid_data/squid 4000 16 256
max_open_disk_fds 0
maximum_object_size 20000 KB

# LOGFILE OPTIONS
debug_options ALL,1