Re: [squid-users] RAID is good

From: Richard Wall <richard@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:57:09 +0000

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Marcus Kool
<marcus.kool@urlfilterdb.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Only one cache directory per disk is recommended while you have 4 cache
> directories on one file system. Consider dropping 2 COSS cache directories
> so that you have 1 COSS and 1 AUFS.

Yep, I understand. Unfortunately in that area I'm restricted by a 2GB
file size limit, beyond which various system binaries don't recognise
the COSS files. Don't ask. :)
There are ways round it though and for a one off benchmark I can setup
a 7.5 GB COSS and a 2.5GB AUFS store. I'll let you know if this
improves the benchmark results.

I also intend to run a benchmark on the same hardware but with JBOD,
and hopefully, given time I'll be able to benchmark a cluster of
boxes.

> Kinkie and I rewrote the RAID for Squid section of the FAQ and
> it includes more details about price, performance and reliability trade-offs.

Yep, that's a really good write up. Thanks.

-RichardW.