Re: [squid-users] cpu load boom when rotate the access.log(coss filesystem)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:12:18 +1300

Felix New wrote:
> thanks for your reply
>
> 1. the version i used is 2.6.STABLE19
> $ squid/sbin/squid -v
> Squid Cache: Version 2.6.STABLE19
>
> 2. the os is red hat enterprise edition 4 update 4, and the file
> system of cache dir is ext3, cache_dir is coss:
> the cache_dir line in squid.conf:
> cache_dir coss /cache/coss 8000 max-size=1000000 block-size=512
> max-stripe-waste=32768 membufs=30

Ah a few problems with COSS. Firstly it does not handle large objects
very well.
Secondy its reload requires reading into memory the entire cache_dir
slice by slice. Which is extremely slow the larger the dir.

You would get better performance splitting your cache into two
cache_dirs one COSS (max around 2GB) for small objects and one ufs/aufs
for large objects.

> by the way, i want to know whether the time is random when squid
> rebuild its cache_dirs? it rebuild the cache_dirs when start, and i
> found it rebuild them random running and i didn't restart that
> process.

I don't think its random. It occurs at startup then on timed events
afterwards if squid has enough spare cycles. It my appear random if the
general server load delays or stops any given store checks.

COSS may even do a rebuild based on other criteria I don't know of.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+