Re: [squid-users] Can squid re-load any caches into memory from thedisk cache.

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:57:44 +0800

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008, Adam Carter wrote:
> > > Does anyone know how to re-load the object into the memory
> > > from the disk cache?
> >
> > At the moment? You have to expire the object and refetch it.
>
> So if an object gets written to disk, then subsequently becomes frequently requested, will this compromise performance as the object must now be pulled from disk every time?

Sort of. It'll then hopefully be cached in the OS buffer cache.

> Following on from that - would a smaller cache_mem, which will allow the OS to perform more disk caching, potentially perform better than a larger (but still sensibly sized) cache_mem?

Again, sort of. Thats fine for almost all use cases. A large cache_mem
is suggested if you have a _very_ hot set of objects - eg most accelerators.
I'd let the OS/FS do the caching everywhere else for now, at least until
I or someone else writes something better.

Adrian