Re: [squid-users] Pegging CPU with epoll_wait

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 23:44:28 +0200

ons 2008-04-02 klockan 13:46 -0500 skrev Ben Hollingsworth:
> restarting squid (maybe a few hours or a few days), it starts pegging
> the CPU at 100%. Running strace on the squid processes scrolls:
>
> epoll_wait(3, {}, 256, 0) = 0
>
> as fast as my screen will scroll. Restarting squid makes it settle down
> again for a while.

This (timeout 0) indicates Squid probably thinks there is some timed
event that it needs to attend to.

Exactly what is hard to say, but it should in such case be visible using
cachemgr.

squidclient mgr:events

But the best action is probably to record a debug log of what Squid is
doing when you see this:

squid -k debug; sleep 1; squid -k debug

then file a bug report and attach your cache.log file.

> This server sees only a few hits an hour. What's
> causing this, and how do I stop it?

To stop it first step is to identify the cause..