[squid-users] Request processing question

From: David Lawson <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 23:26:53 -0400

I've got a couple questions about how Squid chooses to fulfill a
request. Basically, I've got a cache with a number of sibling peers
defined. Some of the time it makes an ICP query to those peers and
then does everything it should do, takes the first hit, makes the HTTP
request for the object via that peer, etc. Some, perhaps most, of the
time, it doesn't even make an ICP query for the object, it just goes
direct to the origin server. Can anyone tell me why that is and how
to stop it? I'd like Squid to, at the very least, make the query for
every request. Can anyone point me in the right direction? This is
Squid 2.5 STABLE12, by the way.

I've also got a broader, more general question of how a request flows
through the Squid process, when ACLs are processed, are they before or
after any rewriter is done to the URLs, etc., but that's a really
secondary thing, right now I'm just concerned with the ICP question.

--Dave
Systems Administrator
Zope Corp.
540-361-1722