Re: [squid-users] No memory left, buffers eats all ram. Is any solution?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:53:49 +0200

mån 2008-04-07 klockan 10:25 +0200 skrev Tomasz:
> > 4 * 30 * 10 MB = 1.2 GB
>
> Can I calculate probably ram usage of cache_dir both for coss and aufs storage
> in that same way?

Not entirely sure, but I would expect COSS to need about the same amount
of memory as the other cache_dir types, or less, not more..

> > Disable the swap. You don't need it and it's only causing you problems.
>
> Funny, this resolved problem.

Well, swap has a purpose which is enabling more efficient use of the
memory to avoid needing to have very much memory, but that purpose isn't
really relevant to your server as you have more than sufficient amount
of memory.

It may be possible to tune the VM appropriately to your needs, but
disabling the swap acheives the same thing with less efforts.

> Ok but this is strange.

Why?

> Hm, can I raise cache_dir on that situation? (with disabled swap and so huge
> amount of ram used by buffers/cache)

Probably. But keep an eye on memory usage. Only make significant changes
when the memory usage has been stable for a week or two..

It's absolutely no fun to run out of memory. Apart from causing some
significant service disruptions it may also cause you to loose the
entire contents of the cache. Better to be safe than sorry.