[squid-users] using squid for mirroring freesound.iua.upf.edu

From: Bram de Jong <bram.dejong@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:50:42 +0200

Hello all,

over at freesound ( http://freesound.iua.upf.edu ) we're slowly but
surely going over 3TB/month and we thought we would use squid for
"mirroring" the content. Freesound hosts a lot of rather large
(2MB->600MB) audio files. The whole Freesound colection of files is
about 260G large.

We set up 2 test-servers elsewhere with this config file :
http://pastebin.com/f3f34e0c2 (search for FREESOUND_TODO to see the
changed values ).

What we have noticed is that the upload/download ratio of these
test-machines is very close to 1 and isn't really lowering. In the log
files we see a lot of TCP_HIT, SWAP_OUT and RELEASE. One of the test
servers was running with 70GB of cache (of which only 27GB used!).
When the cache was augmented to 90GB this morning (for testing), the
ratio suddenly jumped to something MUCH better.

We're a bit confused, and it would be nice if someone could have a
look at our config files to see if we have missed something obvious...

kindest,

 - bram

--
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu