Re: [squid-users] Problem with Restarted Squid Stable 2.6_19 Add

From: Nicole <nmh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:16:51 -0800 (PDT)

On 21-Apr-08 My Secret NSA Wiretap Overheard Adrian Chadd Saying :
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008, Nicole wrote:
>
>> > I took a look at this over the weekend (whilst looking at other stuff in
>> > the
>> > storage code) and I could -probably- make the AUFS swaplog parsing case
>> > much
>> > faster. I've just got other priorities at the moment (ie, lots more
>> > cleaning
>> > up
>> > before I start breaking things in creative ways.)
>>
>> Is this perhaps a recent change? I never noticed this until I upgraded.
>> (from
>> -16 I think) I tried downgrading once after a reboot, however I got the same
>> results when i tried to restart it. But other servers I have, with older
>> revs,
>> don't have this problem.
>
> Its been like this forever. How big are your swaplog files in each of your
> cache dirs? Do you perodically rotate the logfiles? (squid -k rotate)

 Hi
 The swaplog files are about 156 megs. Altho I have some servers that have
swaplogs that are 1.6 gigs but are fine as they the servers have never been
restarted.

 I have never run squid -k rotate. I have another server that just started
exibiting the same sort of behaviour of slowing down. I tried lowing the
available disk size to force it trim some files and did a squid -k rotate but
it was still slow.

 It's getting to be kind of a drag having to contantly wipe out the cache every
few months when they get to a larger size. The disks are 146 Gig and are only
56% full. I am trying to keep lowering the alloted available cache size to see
if there is a sweet spot.

 How often should squid -k rotate be used. It seems like there are various
opinions on its usage and frequency.

  Nicole

--
  -  nmh@daemontech.com  -  Powered by FreeBSD  -
 "The term "daemons" is a Judeo-Christian pejorative.
 Such processes will now be known as "spiritual guides"
  - Politicaly Correct UNIX Page